The fifth in the series of yoga activities from Mrs Summerhouse. This one is called Virabhadrasana or The Warrior.
(Caution should be taken if you are suffering from heart problems or high blood pressure, a modification such as keeping the arms at shoulder level or down by your side would be helpful)
Because The Warrior is a strong pose, it should be a part of a balanced programme which includes limbering first.
- Begin in Tadasana – open legs, chest and raise your arms – turn your feet and body towards your right leg.
- Bend your right leg so your knee is over your ankle, keep both of your feet flat and your back leg stretched.
- Keep your breathing balanced.
- Hold for 30 seconds or more.
- Return to Tadasana and work towards the left leg.
- Relax in a forward bend position afterwards.
- This pose can be repeated 2 or 3 times on each side.
Then relax for a short while and reflect on how you feel.